9 Good Habits for Time and Priority Management

9 Good Habits for Time and Priority Management

DESCRIPTION

Here are 9 good habits to help you gain comfort:

1. Clarify your missions.

Distinguish between your primary and secondary missions:

  • Important: (I) Activities related to the raison d'être of the function. Where you have a strong added value.
  • Not Important: (ni) Activities that are more secondary (low added value) but necessary to the achievement of your mission
  • e.g. tidying up your desk, keeping an eye on what is happening in the company, self-training to go further in the use of the tools at your disposal, etc.

2. Analyse your priorities

Analyse your activities:

  • Initially, according to their importance for the achievement of your missions
  • and only then, according to their urgency
  • and place these activities in the Eisenhower Matrix.

3. Ask yourself the right questions to keep your priorities in focus.

  • Is this a primary mission for me? Secondary?
  • What is expected of me? Action, information, decision?
  • What do I need to do?
  • What is the priority (Eisenhower matrix)?

4. Plan and transfer to the agenda, taking into account the unexpected Before listing the activities to be undertaken to achieve the objectives, you should

  • Before listing the activities to be undertaken to achieve the objective, think in terms of objectives, and therefore of results, or even intermediate results.
  • Example:

    o Objective: to have processed all the information for the week.

    o Activities: reading and processing emails, answering the phone, processing mail.

  • Make a list 100% of the time, transfer to the agenda a maximum of 60% leaving 40% unforeseen.
  • Planning takes about 20 minutes per week.

5. Stop dealing with emails in real time

The goal is to avoid interruptions. Each interruption causes dispersion, another file in the head and refocusing on the original file. So a waste of time and additional fatigue.

  • Tip 1: Turn off email alerts
  • Tip 2: Plan email processing slots and act on each email read, it must be :
  • o Processed immediately as it does not require any reflection

    o Forwarded to the person in charge of the response (delegation)

    o Archived or filed

    o Sent to task list (right click Move to, other folders: Task list)

    NB: No delivery of "unread"!

6. Avoid interruptions

Any request requiring an interruption of 15 minutes or more is preceded by an appointment except in a crisis situation.

7. Clear your head by writing everything down on a list Think Smart.

Forget post-its and other endless lists!

Write everything down in one place and in an organised way, by person or by project. Be specific: who, for what, for when? This list and the diary will allow you to be exhaustive when planning.

Me
Manager
Pierre
Francis
Philippe
Finalise the budget by 15/3 (2H) A
Prepare the annual Annual meeting on 20/3 C
Delegate the participation in the meeting of.... on 16/3 (B)
Taking stock of update on the Y file (B)
Debriefing of its participation in the W meeting to prepare for the next next one (C)
Prepare the service meeting of 16/3 (C)
Taking stock on the X file

To be included: Action to be taken, duration, priority

8. Free up your workspace

Cluttered desk = foggy mind

Clear desk = clear mind

  • Keep one file at a time on the desk
  • Put files that are often used within reach but not in the field of vision
  • The brain is on standby on 2m2 so need to have a clear space
  • Make regular appointments in your diary to tidy up

9. Respect your biorhythms

As far as possible, plan your activities according to your ability to concentrate. Some people call themselves "morning people ": they are advised to put the activities that require concentration first, even before reading emails.

For others, the rhythm is different. They are then advised to plan their activities differently. For important activities, place them in high concentration times. This does not mean arriving at 6 a.m. or working when the open space is empty.

PUT INTO PRACTICE

First action: Distinguish between the important and the unimportant. Keep the Eisenhower matrix and the 4 questions at hand.

Next, draw up a progress plan to gradually integrate the right reflexes.