Emotional and social intelligence
How to know and manage your emotions in order to choose your behaviour and manage your relationships?
- Recognise emotions, your own and those of others.
- Distinguish between different complex emotions and name them correctly.
- Manage your emotions to achieve your goals and control the way you adapt to your environment.
- Use your emotional information to guide unbiased thinking and optimal behaviour.
Social and emotional intelligence is the ability to be aware of one's own and others' emotions, in the moment, and to use this information to choose behaviour and manage relationships.
PUT INTO PRACTICE
Choose a situation or simply moments in your day in which you want to explore your emotional intelligence.
- An employee is already 15 minutes late for your meeting.
- You have just learned that the project you have been working on as a team for weeks has been approved.
- Department mergers have been announced, and jobs are likely to be cut.
- You are sitting quietly at your desk working on a project.
In this situation you have chosen to explore, use the diagram above to assess where you stand on each of the quadrants.
Quadrant 1: SELF AWARENESS
- How do you feel physically (relaxed, tense, tense, tired, energetic, light, hot, cold, heart rate...)?
- What are your thoughts?
- What are your emotions? Name them.
In the bubble at the top left, write your emotions, the associated thoughts and the physical repercussions.
Quadrant 2: SELF-CONTROL
- How do you welcome this (these) emotion(s), and the associated physical feeling?
- What do you usually put in place to modulate the spontaneous reactions related to this emotion (breathing, physical exercises, habits and rituals)?
- What thoughts do you choose to focus on to enable you to take thoughtful and constructive action?
In the bubble at the top right, write down the way you manage your emotions to take reflective and appropriate action.
Quadrant 3: SOCIAL AWARENESS
- How do you seek to understand the other person's point of view?
- How do you feel what the other person is feeling (feelings, emotions)? What are the echoes in you?
- How do the external signs of the other person's emotion (face, voice) guide you to be benevolent, to adapt your communication, to feel what the other person expects of you? In the bubble on the bottom right, write down the way in which you develop your social awareness, your empathy ?
Quadrant 4: RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- What type of communication do you choose with your interlocutor, and how do you nurture the link with him/her?
- How do you negotiate with the other person? How do you manage conflict?
- How do you encourage collaboration?
In the bubble at the bottom left, write the way you manage relationships based on your awareness of the other defined in Quadrant 3.